Roofing Material and Their Benefits
Choosing materials for a new roof for your home can be very overwhelming. You have many different materials to choose from as well as considering the pros and cons of each material.
Asphalt roofing materials- Roofing from asphalt roofs have been the main choice for roofers in New Jersey and beyond. Roofing from asphalt can be installed on just about any type of building material. Roofers also prefer it because it is cost-effective, long-lasting, and easily available in stores where roofing products are sold.
- It is very durable making it a smart investment for homeowners. It can last up to 20 years and up to 50 years on higher-quality shingles.
- It has low upkeep costs due to its ability to withstand different weather conditions like heat and rain.
- Installation takes no time at all and is completed rather quickly allowing the homeowner to get back to their everyday lives sooner than expected.
- Although it is cost-effective, asphalt roofs are still expensive which means you’ll be spending a lot more on your roof than if you had chosen another material. Nonetheless, it is still cheaper in comparison with most types of rooftops available in the market today.
- Asphalt are not environmentally friendly as they rely on fossil fuels, and thousands of pounds of discarded shingles end up in landfills every year
Wooden shingles- These have been used by many homeowners looking for a homey retro look. These are not very common, but can give your home a classy feel. It has to be made from Cedar or Redwood because these woods resist insects and rot. The downside of this type is that it is susceptible to fire
- Wooden shingles tend to be durable and tend to have a strong resistance to wind
- Can last up to 30 years
- Wood is a natural insulator as it can keep your home warm during the harsh New Jersey winters, and cool during the hottest parts of the summer
- Installation of wooden shingles is very fast compared to other materials
- Some homeowners consider a wooden roof to be very aesthetically pleasing
- Rusting nails may also cause leakage which will shorten the life of your roof significantly
- It is flammable and may cause fire to spread
- Insects and other pests can chew up the wood thus making your roof weaker
- Wooden roofs can rot. Wooden roofs absorb water. When the surface is dried by the sun, the water inside can cause the shingles to warp and rot. In
- In general, the cost of a wooden roof is lower than metal or tile but may not be economical to install on an already existing house. Installing a new roof can cost anywhere from $5,000 to 5 times that amount depending on the height and materials used which can
Metal roofing materials- Many people have chosen metal roofs due to their taste and their longevity. Metal roofs are typically made of steel, copper, or aluminum. Roofs can also be galvanized zinc which is a less expensive alternative to the other three metals. Roofing in New Jersey will install any roofing material you want
- Metal roofing can last between 40-80 years depending on the environment
- Metal roofing can be environmentally friendly due to its long-lasting durability.
- Metal roofs are very energy efficient. Metal roofs reflect light rather than absorbing light. This can keep homes cooler without the need to run the AC more
- Some homeowners love the retro, stylish look of metal roofs. They are easy to customize and come in different sizes, shapes, and colors. It can mimic wooden roofs, clay shingles, and many more options!
- Modern metal roofs can be made to look like wood shakes, slate or other natural materials to help them blend in better with siding and other features on homes. Roofers can add custom colors and textures to create a truly unique look.
- Metal roofs are noisy. They can especially be noisy during a rainstorm, making it hard to focus on work, movies, and other high-stress activities. Roofers must be careful when they work on metal roofs to avoid making noise that can disturb the neighbors. However, some homeowners are not bothered by the sound of rain hitting a metal roof
- Metal roofs are expensive. The durability and long-lasting service come at a very high price. This material can run from $120 to $900 per 100 square feet.
- Lower quality metal roofs can dent. Hard hailstorms or falling tree limbs can damage a lower quality roof leading to a costly repair bill. More fragile roofs can even be damaged by someone simply walking on them. However, the higher quality metal roofs often come with a warranty and offer protection against harsh weather conditions such as hurricanes or hail.
No matter what type of roof you choose, Matute Roofing is ready and waiting to be you first choice for all your roofing needs.Give us a call at 973-618-6489. We will be happy to contact you and provide the best solution, and we hope to hear from you soon.