Everyone needs a little maintenance, including your home. And just like you wouldn’t go a year without an oil change or teeth cleaning, your shingle roof needs regular check-ups, too. Shingle roofs are one of the most popular types of roofs for homeowners, so it’s important to find a shingle roofer you can trust.
As intense heat rays turn to fall leaves and intense breezes, then to heavy snow and spring flowers, our roofs withstand it all. The heat, rain, snow, hail, wind, and more. Your roof is with you through it all. Your shingle roof is constantly exposed to the elements and over time, it will start to show signs of wear and tear. If you want to avoid costly repairs down the road, it’s important to get regular shingle roof maintenance. That’s where Matute Roofing comes in.
If you require shingle roof maintenance, look no further. We are experts in the field and can provide you with all the services you need to keep your roof in top condition. Our team is experienced and qualified, and we always put our customers first. We understand that a well-maintained roof is important for the security and safety of your home, and we are dedicated to providing quality service that you can rely on.
How Long Does A Shingle Roof Last?
On average, shingle roofs last between 20 and 30 years. However, with proper maintenance, they can last much longer. This is why maintenance is our priority. Ignoring a problem, or simply not even knowing it’s there, will worsen the damage and lead to a more expensive repair or even replacement. That’s why it’s so important to have a team like Matute Roofing that you can trust to keep your roof in tip-top shape. We will work with you to create a maintenance plan that fits your needs and budget, so you can rest assured knowing that your roof is in good hands.
What Are We Looking For Upon Inspection?
Professional shingle roofers are the experts and we should leave it to them. However, those who are handier feel inclined to peek for themselves so here is what you are looking for:
- Blistered shingles–This type of damage often results from intense heat causing the shingle to bubble and blister.
- Rot and decay–Much like a cavity, shingles can begin to rot and crumble, allowing water to seep in and cause damage to the home. Upon inspection, the shingle will feel weak, crumble, and break in your hands. This is a serious issue for shingle roofers and should be dealt with immediately.
- Missing shingles–Often caused by bad intense rain, wind, and snow, shingles may be completely missing. Don’t worry, when caught early, these can easily be replaced and hopefully before any damage has come to your home. However, without regular inspections, this is not something that would be seen immediately and could result in water damage to your home. This is why Matute Roofing stresses the importance of maintenance by shingle roofers.
- Curling–The shingles may start to curl up at the edges, this is most likely due to old age and weather conditions. If not dealt with, it will continue and worsen, leaving your home susceptible to water damage.
- Granules in the gutters (this is a sign shingles are deteriorating)–The granules didn’t happen by accident, they are yet another defense mechanism made by shingle roofers. They do come off over time though and should be checked to ensure they aren’t wearing too quickly.
How Can The Homeowner Maintain Their Roof?
The best way to maintain your shingles is to have them inspected by shingle roofers at least once a year. They will be able to tell you if any repairs or replacements are necessary. Aside from yearly inspections, it’s also important to clear your gutters and downspouts of debris regularly. This will help prevent water from pooling on your roof and causing damage.
Also, should you feel comfortable, regularly spraying down and clearing your roof free of moss and algae can prevent the decay and rot discussed earlier? Regularly washing prevents the decay of those shingles before the algae have sat too long on them.
Similar to the way we brush our teeth to prevent food, bacteria, and sugars from causing the early decay of our teeth, we must consider this for our roofs as well. Even trimming the branches around the roof that could fall, scrape, or damage your roof will make a difference. For the advanced, replacing the sealant used to install the shingles can help prolong their life. Don’t try this unless you have some experience or help from a professional shingle roofer.
Hire A Professional
It’s tempting to go at it alone, to save money, or to gain experience but shingle roofing is a risky business. One wrong shingle installation could cause leaks, drafts, or worst of all – an injury. Hiring a professional shingle roofer will give you the peace of mind that your roof was installed by someone with experience. Plus, maintenance, while it seems simpler than replacing an entire shingle roof, can be tricky. What you may believe is one method to be the best solution, could be different from that of professional shingle roofers. Stick to the tips highlighted above and we will fill in the gaps.
Here at Matute Roofing, we only hire General Aniline and Film (GAF) Master Elite Roofers, which means they are highly trained and certified in shingle roofing installation. Visit our website or give us a call today to learn more about what we can do for you. Your satisfaction is always our top priority.