Get Ahead of the Rainy Weather – Clean Your Gutters Now!
Cleaning gutters is one of those necessary evils most homeowners face at some point. Like most people, you probably dread climbing a ladder and cleaning out all the gunk clogging your gutters. However, maintenance is vital to prevent roofing, siding, or foundation damage.
Matute Roofing recommends homeowners schedule or perform gutter cleaning before the start of winter and again in spring after the inclement winter weather has passed. Taking care of gutter cleaning in the fall helps you get a jumpstart on winter weather like snow or ice, which can clog gutters more quickly during cold months. Not only will your gutters be ready for heavy rains when the temperature rises, but you’ll also be able to spot any potential problems before they become significant.
Matute Roofing wants to ensure the maintenance of your home and roof so that your roof can last its full potential. If you need any gutter maintenance or want new gutter installations, beat the gutter clogs by calling 973-618-6489 to schedule your service today!
What You Will Need For Your DIY Gutter Cleaning
If you feel that gutter cleaning is a task you can handle yourself, you must ensure you have the proper tools to clean your gutters safely. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Safety Goggles
- Sturdy Gloves
- Garden hose or wet/dry vacuum cleaner
- Gutter scoop or trowel
- Wire brush
- A bucket or pail
Investing in these tools ensures that a thorough cleaning will keep your gutters free of debris and clogs. Additionally, while cleaning, you should check for any leaks or gaps in the gutter system and seal them with caulk or sealant to prevent water from entering and leaking behind your home’s walls.
If your home has multiple levels and you need help safely reaching all levels, consider contacting a professional that utilizes proper safety measures to ensure the job is done correctly. Matute Roofing urges homeowners to stay ahead of the rainy weather this season by cleaning their gutters now! Don’t hesitate to call us at 973-618-6489 for help with gutter maintenance or a seamless installation of new gutters. Our team is available and ready to answer any questions about protecting your home’s roof, siding, and foundation.
How To Clean Your Gutters:
- Make sure you utilize a sturdy, extendable ladder. Placing the ladder on a sturdy surface is crucial. Examine the surrounding landscaping to ensure the ladder won’t shift. Also, it would be best if you had a helper around while cleaning your gutters if you drop something or need someone to support the ladder.
- Homeowners should wear a long-sleeved shirt, work pants, and sturdy gloves. You should also wear safety glasses to ensure debris does not enter your eyes.
- Start by removing the debris from the gutters using a scoop. Gutter scoops are available at the hardware store, but you can also use a child’s sandbox shovel. A plastic scoop is less likely to damage your gutters, so choose wisely.
- You should spread a tarp underneath your workspace to collect all the gutter gunk and protect your landscaping. If this is not an option, place the debris in a bucket and empty the contents as necessary. This step is also where a helper could assist in the process.
- Once you’ve removed the debris from the gutters, a garden hose should be placed in the gutter to flush the gutters and downspouts. This water flow also helps clear any remaining debris, mold, or dirt residue. The flow of water may also help make leaks visible. If you notice any cracks or leaks, contacting a professional at Matute Roofing is your best option for gutter repair.
- Once the gutters are clear, look for any sagging gutters. By mounting a gutter hanger, you can fix this issue or reach out to Matute Roofing to ensure the job is done correctly.
How Often Should I Clean My Gutters?
If you live in an area with many trees, you may need to clean your gutters more often to prevent them from clogging. Depending on the amount of debris, gutter cleaning should be done at least once a year. More frequent cleanings may be necessary if you live in an area prone to storms or heavy rains. For best results, spread this apart every six months. This will help you create a habit of it and help you to remember the last time it was done. Try doing this at least once in the fall, due to more leaves falling from the trees, and then again six months later.
Gutter maintenance is just as essential as roof maintenance. Matute Roofing wants customers to understand the importance of keeping their gutters clean to avoid any problems with the roof, siding, or foundation. Get ahead of the rainy weather and call us at 973-618-6489 to schedule your service today!
Why Is It Important?
Cleaning gutters is important because it helps prevent water damage to your home. When gutters become clogged, water can build up and eventually seep into your home’s foundation or leak into your basement or crawl space. This water can lead to severe problems like mold growth or wood rot.
Matute Roofing would like to ensure the health and sturdiness of your roof by working with homeowners to clean their home’s gutters. With proper gutter maintenance, you can help your roof last as long as possible, and avoiding common causes of damage is our top concern.
If you are concerned that your gutters have led to water damage to your roof, call us or visit our website to set up your roof maintenance. It is vital to address these issues sooner rather than later to ensure the repairs are minor and quick rather than letting them get worse.
When Should I Repair or Replace My Gutters?
One of the most important aspects of keeping your gutters in good shape is knowing when they must be replaced or repaired. Depending on the age and type of your gutters, they may only need to be replaced every few years. However, if you live in an area with many trees, you may need to repair or replace them more often. Here are some signs of wear to look for:
- Cracks or splits– This type of damage should be immediately replaced before damage is caused to the boards behind the gutters, leading to roof damage.
- Rust and Paint Damage– Frequently, this damage is due to the constant presence of water on gutters. Ensure they are draining correctly, and touch up the paint where needed.
- Water Pooling and Mold– Caused by the buildup of water or improper drainage, this can be repaired but could be as severe as to need replacing.
- Sagging gutters– This is a sign that gutters are not draining correctly.
By following these tips, you can help maintain your gutters and avoid any costly repairs in the future! Matute Roofing is here to provide advice and assistance in ensuring the integrity of your roof. We take pride in our work and in helping your family stay protected from the elements. Call us or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more. Also, schedule roof maintenance regularly to ensure any damages are caught before leading to more extensive and costly issues.